How a minimalist wardrobe made my life easier.

Jul 30, 2015

idle_minimal_wardrobe


If you'd told me a few years ago that I'd be preaching the perks of a minimalist wardrobe in a not so very far future, I'd 've probably rolled my eyes at you so hard that they would have fallen of their sockets - just something I always do when I think a person is talking total cr*p. You have to know that back in the days Taylor Tomasi Hill, Elisa Nalin and Yasmin Sewell - three ladies who aren't particularly known for their understated, minimal style - were my absolute style icons and pink feather vests, blue checkered pants and a dotted peplum blouse were basically my idea of basics.

But fashions, as well as personal preferences change and the last year or so I've been gravitating from the fashion peacock side of the courtyard towards what one might describe as the grey - yet stylish - mouse area. Meaning I just started wearing a lot of black, white and grey, mixed up with leather and denim. And, much to my own surprise, I discovered that dressing minimal is not only very 'je ne sais qoui' and 'effortless cool', but also perfect for lazy people like me. 


Less trend-stress


Once I embraced the fact that I actually feel most comfortable in a pair of jeans and a white tee, I suddenly felt a lot less stressed out 'getting the perfect 70's look', or the fact that is 'really needed those gladiator-sandals'. Sure I still buy trending items (like my Daniel Wellington watch or my Mansur Gavriel bucket bag), but somehow the urge to buy every single must-have of the moment seems to have diminished. And thank god for that, because - and please don't laugh at me - I litteraly used to lie awake at night thinking about how I was gonna incorporate the baby blue trend into my wardrobe and whether or not to buy that Stella McCartney-inspired Zara coat. Rediculous right? In any case, I'm so glad I can now save energy by not worrying about that stuff!

Oh, and erm, on a side note: Contrary to other people I do not believe that monodrobing means the end of trends. I rather think that it is a trend in its own right, that will probably pass by just like the others, though it might have a longer lifespan than most, because of its vagueness and room for own interpretation.

Getting dressed in the morning became such a short proces


When all you need to do is deciding wheter you'll put on your grey T-shirt today or your black one, getting dressed can go so quick you just won't believe it. Okay, so somedays I'll trade my jeans for a pair of culottes or a skirt, but that's just about it. And besides, because all of the pieces in my closet have neutral colour and basic shape, they can all be mutually combined. Easy, peasy, sleasy!

Less clothes, means less cleaning up


This one kind of relates to my previous point: If you're not busy throwing half of your wardrobe on the floor every morning while trying on almost every single item you own, this also means a lot less re-folding and ironing. Something I can only be cheerful about.

I actually feel comfortable in the clothes I'm wearing


Truth is, I've been most comfortable in a pair of boyfriends and a sweater for as long as I can remember (as a matter of speaking, because I don't think the term boyfriend jeans already existed when I was a toddler), but somehow I always felt like I had to push myself out of that comfort zone. I thought that I had to wear a poppy red midi skirt or statement pants to proove to the world that I'm interested in fashion, but while I really loved more extravagant outfits and still like to see them on other people, they just never felt like me. Until one day I realised that I didn't have to prove anything to anyone and that I could love fashion without looking like a typical fashion girl (whoever she might be anyway). Oh, and then of course luckily for me, the normcore trend just about kicked in ;).

What are your thoughts on a minimalist closet? Easy or boring? Trend or here-to-stay?