Lessons in finding your own style

May 5, 2017

Three months of no shopping. That's where I'm at today. And I have to say, it really does something with a person. Aside from the heavy withdrawel symptoms, what I notice most is that it has prompted me to think more about what my style is and how I want to piece my love for fashion in my life.

After all combining a passion for fashion with a sustainable lifestyle is quite contradictory. Because what is fashion but the thrill of the new and exciting? I used to think fashion was about finding beauty, about celebrating aesthetics. But for me style can't be measured out in the golden ratio.

If fashion was about true beauty (and by that I mean beauty like the one that can be found in nature), that would make it impossible for me to dislike Tommy Hilfiger logo sweaters for several years, and suddenly like 'em the next. Visiting London with my boyfriend was also quite an eye-opener on this front. While perusing the city we encountered quite a lot of fashionabe people (duh!), sporting Vetements-style outfits. The boyfriend (being a fahion noop) was totally shocked. FYI, I spent the first 3 years of our relationship convincing him that those ugly, synthetic, grey addidas jogging pants were really not done, even for going to the gym. And now that he finally gets that they are truly fashion faux-pas, they come back in to style. His reaction was: "No one can really think this is pretty, they're just wearing it because it's in fashion".

Which in turn made me wonder. Yes, why? Why do these outfits make my heart beat faster? Is it like the fairytale about the emperor's new clothes? And I just don't want to admit that I'm seeing his naked butt, because that would mean that I don't get what's hot? Well, no, because the feeling of appreciation seems to come from inside of me, and not from wanting to conform to what other people say or wear.

So this got me thinking, maybe fashion isn't supposed to be beautiful like nature, but like art. Maybe it's not always supposed to be aesthetically pleasing, but rather triggering, challenging and maybe even shocking. Take my hair for instance. A buzzcut is certainly not beautiful in a traditional way, but I love it (oh yeah, she's sooooo modest), because it's different and edgy.

But different and edgy also means buying new stuff on the regular (if you want to stay ahead of the pack, if you catch my drift). And that is no good for our planet, for my wallet and for the people who become the victim of fast fashion industry. Sometimes I whish I was one of those minimal style girls, who can survive on jeans and a white T-shirt, but I just get bored out by that stuff. No matter how much I love me some good basics, I just can't resist to add some gingham here, some pink logo sweater there and a frilly off the shoulder top too. But then again, maybe that is the key to finding my own style. To invest in really good basics and add one or two new touches to make them look fresh again.